Sunday 4 February 2007

Not the brook, but some good examples of field signs




These feeding stations are all round the pond in Danson's Wood. I've taken out a couple of pieces of gnawed reed to show the characteristic 45 degree cut that water voles make. There are a few droppings, too. No signs of burrows, but there's quite a lot of sedge that the voles are probably living in. The canal is close by and last autumn I saw evidence of feeding there. A great habitat - perfect example of 'wildlife corridors' which small colonies need to increase their gene stock.
As for the Staggs Brook, the trolley's still in there...
.
Added later: now think these stripped pieces of reed are field vole, which means the latrine almost certainly is too. If I'd had my gadget for scale, I could have used it to check!

No comments: