Saturday 12 April 2008

Mink: very bad news for water voles


Went for a walk down the Prees Branch Canal today, and it looks as though there's at least one mink in the area. I found what I'm pretty sure is mink scat, and then there were bones on the second raft.
.
My fears were confirmed when I met the lady who lives in the cottage at Waterloo and she said her fish pond had been raided. So I'm waiting to hear from SW about what to do.
.
There was evidence of water vole feeding and a fresh latrine (the two pics below) but for how long can this population survive if there are mink about?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,
They are relatively easy to trap, speak to John Harding he will have experience from Wood Lane.

Kate said...

Thanks. I will give John a ring because he's so knowledgeable. It's an SW-managed area, so I have to go through them, but I've had a chat this morning and I'm hopeful the situation's going to be monitored.