Wednesday 17 May 2017

The Voles of Criftins






 All likely-looking burrows, set within excellent habitat.




I took a look round the Criftins area of Ellesmere, at a ditch a colleague had told me was home to water voles. I didn't see any feeding or latrines, but there were quite a few burrows, and a man walking his dog confirmed there were water voles in the field.

The vole photographed above shows the variation in fur colour that can occur in different lights. I thought initially this was a very dark animal, possibly a baby, then it moved into the sun and the fur turned much paler. It's chewing its way through bramble stems, balancing on one with its hind paw to grip.

2 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I do love coming across little streams and waterways

Kate said...

Great, isn't it?