Monday 30 April 2018

A Tale of Two Voles


 'Where is he? I want to go out but I don't want to leave my pups behind in the burrow.'

'Here I am. Sorry, love, I've been feasting on pollen for the protein.'

 'Right, I'm home.'

 'My turn to go out now!'


Some blocked-up burrows.

Apologies: I don't normally go in for anthropomorphism, but it seemed to me the narrative here was fairly clear. The first vole sat at the entrance to the burrow for 15 minutes but wouldn't leave to feed, which makes me think this is a female caring for pups. When the other vole arrived I expected a fight, but it slipped into the burrow quietly without fuss, so I'm assuming that was the male partner. Only then what I think was the first vole came out to feed. I'd thought that male voles went on their way once the female was impregnated, leaving her alone to raise the young, so this was interesting to watch. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

No comments: